About the program
The Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration (HVAC/R) program at ASA is lab-based with almost every class meeting having a hands-on (learn-by-doing) approach where students train and work on actual air conditioning and refrigeration equipment. This lab allows students to gain experience in equipment installation, maintaining air conditioning units, troubleshooting equipment failures and refrigeration systems.
Commercial and residential
The HVAC/R program covers both commercial and residential technician skills in order to expand the marketability of graduates with real-world career opportunities.
What do HVAC/R Technicians do?
Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration (HVAC/R) technicians provide valuable services so people can live in comfortable climate conditions indoor. In addition, many restaurants and food service industry businesses need refrigeration services. HVAC/R technicians typically do the following:
- Install, maintain, and repair heating, cooling, and refrigeration systems
- Repair or replace defective air conditioning and refrigeration equipment
- Repair and replace equipment’s components and wiring
- Use blueprints or design specifications to install or repair HVAC/R systems
- Connect systems to fuel and water supply lines, air ducts, and other components
- Install electrical wiring and controls and test for their proper operation
- Inspect and maintain customers’ HVAC/R systems
- Test individual components to determine necessary repairs
- Repair or replace worn or defective parts
- Determine HVAC/R systems’ energy use and make recommendations to improve their efficiency
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of heating, air conditioning, and refrigeration mechanics and installers is projected to grow 14% from 2014 to 2024, much faster than the average for all occupations. Candidates familiar with computers and electronics and those with good troubleshooting skills will have the best job opportunities as employers continue to have difficulty finding qualified technicians to install, maintain, and repair complex new systems.
Graduates of our Air Conditioning and Refrigeration (HVAC/R) program may qualify for careers with the following employers:
Air conditioning companies
Repair and maintenance companies
Air Conditioning (A/C) Tech
Selling and installation companies
Major companies with maintenance departments (i.e., Hotels, Hospitals)
Self-Employment, Business Owner (for experienced technicians)
Some of the coursework in our program covers:
- Air Conditioning Systems
- Troubleshooting, Maintenance, and Service Calls
- Refrigeration Systems and Components
- Commercial Air Conditioning
The Industry recognized certifications of EPA and R-410A are included in the program. When you graduate you will be ready to go straight into the field and have the opportunity to build a success career in a demanding field.