The Medical Assisting with Medical Billing Certificate program offers a comprehensive learning curriculum designed to provide students with a strong foundation on which to build a successful career as a competent entry level administrative assistant or biller.
A well-rounded curriculum offers students the knowledge and skills in the technical areas of the insurance industry, computer technology, federal and state regulations, billing and insurance coding systems, basic medical office administration, extensive practice in preparing medical claims, anatomy and physiology, and medical terminology. In addition, students will become proficient in the use of Medisoft software program, as well as the Microsoft Office Suite of products.
At the conclusion of this program, students will have two optional opportunities:
1) to become nationally certified by the NHA (National Healthcare Association)
2) or to continue their education in one of the degree programs offered in the division.
Upon graduation, students may find employment as an entry-level medical administrative assistant or biller in medical facilities, clinics, insurance companies, and home-based billing services. They will be able to perform a variety of duties including billing, completing and submitting medical insurance forms, creating and maintaining medical charts, preparing reports and correspondence, abstracting data from medical reports, and complying with HIPAA regulations.
Upon successful completion of this program, graduates should possess the competencies and knowledge required to function successfully as an entry-level medical administrative assistant or biller by demonstrating the ability to:
- Utilize software that reflects current medical office workflows
- Code clinical data and prepare insurance claims for reimbursement purposes
- Apply ethical and legal principles and standards for the control, release and use of health information
- Communicate clearly and effectively, both oral and in writing, with patients and other medical professionals as a healthcare team member.